What is Assistive Technology?
Assistive Technology (AT) is any item, piece of equipment, software or product system that is used to increase, maintain, or improve the functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities.
Who is eligible for AT consideration?
Any student with a valid Individualized Education Program (IEP) or Section 504 Plan is eligible for AT consideration. AT support should be discussed during the annual IEP meeting. Federal law mandates the consideration of assistive technology for all students with disabilities.
How does ATTIC determine the right tools to use with students?
ATTIC coordinators utilize the SETT Framework, created by Dr. Joy Zabala, to assist in the gathering of information for making informed decisions regarding AT tools and services to implement.
What is the SETT Framework?
The SETT Framework is a process built on the premise that in order to develop an appropriate system of assistive technology devices and services, teams must first gather information about students, the environments in which the students spend their time, and the tasks that are required for the students to be successful in the learning environment.
SETT stands for the following:
- What does the student need to be able to do that is difficult or impossible at this time?
- What are the student’s current abilities?
- What are the student’s interests?
- What is the physical arrangement of the learning environment?
- What materials and equipment are students and teachers using?
- What assistive technology does the student have access to or currently use?
- What are the instructional expectations for all students in the learning environment?
- What specific learning tasks are essential in the student’s achievement in this instructional environment(s)?
- Where are the gaps between student performance and instructional expectations?
- What additional tools does this student require to perform in this environment?
- What strategies might be used to motivate the student’s performance?
- What are the training requirements for the student, family and staff?